Lee graduated from the University of Canterbury in 1975 and then spent three years working in the Land Titles Office (now Land Information New Zealand) before joining another Christchurch firm in 1978. He became a partner with that firm in 1982 and spent the next 19 years there before joining Saunders Robinson Brown in November 2001.
He has extensive experience in property matters and has a particularly in-depth understanding of the land transfer system in New Zealand, having previously worked for the Land Titles Office. Lee also has an established commercial and business law client base, and he advises clients on trust structuring and estate planning.
In addition to his core areas of practice, Lee has a particular interest and expertise in sports law. He has acted for the governing bodies of national sporting organisations, for New Zealand representatives of various sporting codes and as a national code of conduct commissioner for cricket. As well as acting directly for sporting organisations and individual athletes, Lee has also had a strong involvement in sports related developments, such as the development of the Hagley Oval in Christchurch into a first class international cricket ground.
Lee is a Director of Akaroa Health Limited formed to develop the Integrated Family Health Centre being developed in Akaroa in conjunction with CDHB and the Akaroa Community.
Some of Lee's recent work includes:
- Being involved in the conception and construction of the Hagley Oval, including chairing the trust that raised $8.9 million to complete the first of Canterbury's 'anchor' projects
- Assisting from a early stage with the development of the Akaroa Health Hub, which may well become a model for future rural health hubs
- Advising clients with restructuring of their trusts and related entities and dealing with complex succession issues
- Named as a leading expert in the field of "Sports and Entertainment" by Who's Who Legal in 2013
- Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to the community and sport
- Chair of the Canterbury Cricket Trust
- Director of Akaroa Health Hub Ltd
- Trustee of the Halberg Trust
- Trustee of the Richmond New Zealand Health Trust
- Code of Conduct Commissioner for both New Zealand Cricket and the Canterbury Cricket Association
- Member of the New Zealand Law Society