Tyler graduated from the University of Canterbury in 2011 with a Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting & Taxation). He joined Saunders Robinson Brown in 2009 while completing his studies and is a member of our Litigation Team.
As well as acting in general commercial and civil litigation matters, Tyler also specialises in insurance law and has been involved in numerous residential and commercial insurance claims. In addition to dealing with complex commercial insurance claims, he has advised bodies corporate in respect of the additional complexities that arise under the Unit Titles Act 2010 and has been involved in claims under the High Court Earthquake List on behalf of insureds. Tyler has also been involved in advising private landowners in respect of property acquisitions by the Christchurch Central Development Unit for the redevelopment of Christchurch's central city.
Tyler provides pro bono advice to a number of not-for-profit entities, including Slave Free Seas and The First Tee of New Zealand. He also has a particular interest in human rights and is a member of Amnesty International's Legal Network.
Some of Tyler's recent work includes:
- Successfully negotiating the settlement of a major resort body corporate's multi-million dollar material damage claim arising from the Christchurch earthquakes
- Successfully representing a group of investors in a failed finance company opposing a High Court application brought by the liquidators (Graham v Arena Capital Ltd (in liq)  NZHC 194)
- Acting for an insured in respect of a property subject to a section 124 Building Act Notice as a result of the risk of rockfall and issuing proceedings against their insurer in the High Court Earthquake List
- Successfully negotiating the reinstatement of an insurance policy avoided by the insurer as a result of alleged non-disclosure by the insured
- Representing a body corporate in negligence proceedings against its manager, insurance broker and valuer for failing to correctly assess the replacement value of body corporate property for insurance purposes
- Acting for various business clients in debt recovery proceedings
- Providing advice to a charitable trust in respect of gifts received from third parties and drafting related agreements
- Member of the New Zealand Insurance Law Association
- Committee Member of the University of Canterbury Club (Inc.)
- Guest lecturer on contempt of court for the New Zealand Broadcasting School
- Member of Amnesty International's Legal Network
- Member of the New Zealand Law Society